Turkey Dash 2025

 Last year I tricked the kids into doing the Turkey Dash 5k. They were less then impressed at the realization of 3.1 miles. I believe Rowdy was throwing out facts like “we could be at home watching tv” ๐Ÿ˜‚. I admired the honesty. 

So this year I decided not to trick anyone, my “athletic tricks” seem to be more discouraging then anything. So I figured I would just wake up really early and do a long terrible bike ride or something thanksgiving morning. Or maybe do the 5k by myself and beat last years time. 

But to my suprise, a week ago, little Isla Mae kept hounding me and mommy and grandma to sign up for the turkey dash again. Hmm, the tables have turned. Well I can support that! Continuing healthy traditions! I’m in! 

 So we signed up!

now side story: when I started at my job, I was all chatty n stuff. Imagine that๐Ÿ˜‰. So as I’m getting to know my new best friends, I mean co workers, I ask the normal stuff. Favorite food, color, Miley Cyrus song, movie, conspiracy theory, who would win in a fight; crocodile or gorilla. And finally; what’s your number one bucket list item. And Marissa…. Said…. Her bucket list item was so do a 5k! I was like “yo shawty, thats easy cheesey lemon squeezy. Thankgiving my chica”. 


So once isla had us signed up I went to Marissa and was like “me, you, wife, kids; party pace 5k!!!! You in?!?!?” She said YES!!! And cowabunga we had a date and basically a running club starting. 

So ok now it’s race morning, the kids are bouncing off the walls. That’s good. I love the positive energy, but I’m getting worried about the weather outlook. Supposed to feel like 17 degrees with the 22mph wind. But ya see…. I’m an endurance athlete, so I am always thinking about the end game, the long hall if you will. I’ll take extra of everything and I’ll carry it all. I can do that. Extra gloves, hats, face masks, and jackets. 

We arrived at the race venue 45 minutes early to get our numbers, get dressed, and go potty in the long lines. 



We encountered an immediate high point when walking in and we found parking spot 6-7. That will make a 6 year old psychedddd! 



Mommy pinned our numbers on us. We ran around too much. Jumped in leaves. And started today’s theme of endless cartwheels. 



Once the gun went off we were off to the races. Literally. Pacing was not on the minds of the 6-8 years olds I was carrying things for. Just dead sprint rite out if the gate ๐Ÿ˜‚



They were running quite a bit, I think they got lost in the excitement and energy of the race. They leap frogged each other over and over between catching our breath. At the 1 mile sign isla did a cartwheel and decided she would do one every mile. Also a few warm up cart wheels before the mile markers and cool down cart wheels after. 12 cart wheels in all. 

Isla never stopped talking to the go pro. We got video of every road sign, turn, mile marker, pile of leaves, dog, and stroller. Riveting content! 





After mile 1, the dehydration was starting to come in hot n heavy. But we remembered from last year that at the halfway point, there are people…. Literally… HANDING YOU WATER!!!! So we were Jazzed! Anticipating that sweet sweet wet H2O. And finally! Sweet Aqua!




Shorty after downing our refreshments we get passed by a someone going lightening fast! Must be a pro, but it wasn’t! It was MARISSA!!! Dang, lil shawty was cruising! She breaked for a moment so I could grab a selfie, then she dropped me like a bad habit! 



We hit mile 2 and 3 with some cartwheels. Rowdy was entering the pain cave but he was being tough and hanging out. ( I forgot to tie his shoes tight, so his feet started hurting at mile 2, but he didn’t say anything until we got home #GRIT). 

We approached the finish line and the kids were ready to empty the tank and get in once last big effort to shave a few more seconds off their time. 

I ran ahead to get some finish line photos. 





Isla had to go pro her finish, then go back and cartwheel the finish! Marissa was waiting for us at the finish, I insisted we get a photo of her at the finish line! 



We went and got water to quench our continued dehydrated selves and went to finish with mommy. 





Isla got her cart wheels across the finish line again. 






Then for the reward, we went inside for some pumpkin pie and hot chocolate! Except the hot chocolate was gone. 


And pumpkin pie is kinda gross. So isla just had a heeping napkin full of well deserved whip cream ๐Ÿ˜‚




I’m feeling beyond blessed and thankful to spend this wonderful day with my family doing hard things and helping my best friend Marissa check off her bucket list item. This is a lifelong tradition now! I’m so pumped Katie joined in with us this one. I’m super proud of her! Those conditions were less than ideal! 



As we walked out Isla finished off the go pro battery with her extended race recap๐Ÿ˜‚







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 100-mile; Respectable? DNF

Huracan Day 1: Don’t try anything new

Polar roll: My first Marathon